Greenville ISD Media Guidelines
Greenville Independent School District works cooperatively with the news media to facilitate the coverage of issues and events involving the school district, its students and staff.
Greenville ISD is dedicated to providing all students with a safe, learning environment without unnecessary interruptions. Therefore, the following guidelines are in effect at all district campuses and facilities:
- It is the role of the Communications Department to assist schools in contacting media representatives, preparing for interviews and onsite visits, and responding to media inquiries.
- All media inquiries should be directed to Executive Director of Communications Amy Wade at 903-408-4453, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Exceptions include routine athletic and/or extracurricular activity news coverage during games, tournaments and/or performances conducted outside the normal school day,
- The Executive Director of Communications and/or the Communications Department should be contacted when a representative of the media requests to visit a campus or arrives at a campus without prior approval. If a member of the media is onsite without prior approval, he/she should be referred to the Communications Department at the Administration Building (4004 Moulton Street).
- A member of the media may interview staff or students during the school day with prior approval from the Executive Director of Communications. Media representatives may be allowed access to a classroom only with the approval of the Executive Directive of Communications or designee, and only if the classroom teacher and/or appropriate staff member(s) have been notified and have agreed that it will not be disruptive to the learning environment. Photographs, audio and video may not be taken by the media without approval.
- Prior to any media visit, appropriate time must be given to district administrators to verify student privacy preferences and provide appropriate notification to the campus and building administrators. In many cases, parents will also be contacted for permission.
- Greenville ISD strictly enforces and follows student privacy preferences and release of student information as outlined in FERPA guidelines (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
- The Superintendent, Executive Director of Communications or designee shall be the official spokesperson for Greenville ISD.