Greenville ISD Media Guidelines
Greenville Independent School District works cooperatively with the news media to facilitate the coverage of issues and events involving the school district, its students or staff.
Greenville ISD is dedicated to providing all students with a safe, learning environment without unnecessary interruptions. Therefore, the following guidelines are in effect at all district campuses and facilities:
- It is the role of the Communications Department to assist schools in contacting media representatives, preparing for interviews and onsite visits, and responding to media inquiries.
- All media inquiries should be directed to the Chief Communications Officer, including inquiries sent via social media, e-mail or other channels. Exceptions include routine athletic and/or extracurricular activity news coverage during games, tournaments, and/or performances conducted outside the normal school day, please coordinate with the Athletic Director.
- GISD media contact: Chief Communications Officer Helen Williams 903-408-4453 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Chief Communications Officer and/or the Communications Department should be contacted when a representative of the media requests to visit a campus or arrives at a campus without prior approval. If a member of the media is onsite without prior approval, he/she should be sent to the Communications Department at the Administration Building (4004 Moulton Street).
- A member of the media may interview staff or students during the school day with prior approval from the Chief Communications Officer. Media representatives may be allowed access to a classroom only with the approval of the Chief Communications Officer or designee, and only if the classroom teacher and/or appropriate staff member(s) have been notified and have agreed that it will not be disruptive to the learning environment. Photographs, audio and video may not be taken by the media without the approval of the Chief Communications Officer or a designee.
- Prior to any media visit, appropriate time must be given to district administrators to verify student privacy preferences and provide appropriate notification to the campus and building administrators. In many cases, parents will also be contacted.
- Greenville ISD strictly enforces and follows student privacy preferences and release of student information as outlined in FERPA guidelines (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
- The Superintendent, Chief Communications Officer or designee shall be the official spokesperson for Greenville ISD.